My wife and I dated for over three year before our marriage. The last few months before our marriage became fairly routine. So routine that we rarely made plans for seeing each during that time. We just assumed what we would do. Three or four evenings a week I would go to her house and we would watch television or play dominoes with her parents. On some of those evenings I would pick her up and we would go back to my parent’s house to watch television or sit on our porch swing.
Saturday evening was always different. We would go out on a “date”. I would take my fiancee to a movie and dinner or to some special event taking place. There were some Saturdays that I would be late. I would either be busy helping at the house or some friend would unexpectedly drop by. Whatever the reason, I was past my normal arrival time. My soon to be wife was always patiently waiting for me. I must admit it made me feel good. I knew this was someone that truly loved me and wanted me happy even if it caused her disappointment.
God loves us. He desires that we wait for him with love and patience. I was the cause of disappointment for my wife but God does not cause us disappointment. He will come again at the appointed time. Though we are to prepare and wait for his second coming God is also with us now. He comes to us through the Sacraments of the Church and through the people we meet every day.
We must open our hearts to everyone. We must receive every person as though we are receiving Jesus. The Gospel from today’s daily Mass (Luke 12:35-38) tells us “be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding, ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.” We are to be ready. We are not be late. Do not wait for Jesus to come into your life. He is already here, knocking on your door. We meet him in the sacraments of the Church and in those around us. Go out and meet him with lighted lamps. See God in all of his creation.

No comments:
Post a Comment