Friday, January 2, 2015

Tears of Joy or Regret


On December 8, I assisted at the Mass of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. While I was distributing the Host, the body of Christ,  I had a vision and a thought.  I envisioned Holy Mary holding the body of Jesus.  It was in the form of the Pietà, the great sculpture by Michelangelo.  I felt a sense of awe, honor and humbleness as I realized I was holding the body of Jesus just as Mary held her Son so many times over His life.  This time it was different though.   As I distributed Holy Communion I could not stopping thinking that I was holding the risen Jesus in my hand.  The Jesus that became fully human then died for our sins so we might have salvation.  I could not fathom the pain Mary must have felt while holding her crucified son in her arms.  I know that Mary as the mother of Jesus had to suffer.  She had to suffer as only a parent does when their child dies.  I can imagine though the gentleness in which Mary held her Son as her tears washed over Him.

While assisting at the Christmas Mass during the Night, the image of Mary holding Jesus returned to me.  This time is was different.  I envisioned Mary holding her newborn baby.  There would be tears but they would be the tears of a mother’s joy at the birth of her Son.  While distributing Holy Communion I felt the great miracle that had taken place.  I felt the baby that was born in a world that had no room for him.  I felt the love that is shown through the sacrifice of the cross and I felt the presence of Jesus Christ, our risen Lord.

Are we worthy of the sacrifice Jesus made for us?  Will the tears we shed at the end of our life be tears of joy or tears of regret?  Live every day of your life as if it is Christmas.  Be full of joy that a Savior has been born unto us.  May your final tears be those that come from the joy of knowing that by death you will be born into eternal salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment